Tuesday, September 24, 2013

So Scary!

This thing scares me.

I've had this exact machine for 11 years.  I've made a set of curtain panels, a pillow, less than 5 baby blankets, and repaired the velcro and elastic on a dozen cloth diapers.  In 11 years. 

ELEVEN years!

I'm not sure what I was thinking, but I thought it might be a good idea last week to try to find someone who could give me a couple lessons.  Apparently, sewing is becoming a lost art, because I could find only one person, whom I know, in the metro area who would consider it, and our time schedules did not work out.  My friend over at A Romantic Porch volunteered to help as much as possible, but our geographical locations do not lend themselves to making that possibility easy, seeing as how she is in Indiana, and I, in Kansas.

(I realize that there are classes offered at nearly every local craft store.  That involves actually finding a sitter, of whom my list is VERY short, and paying money that I don't have for both the class and the sitter!)

And so I then thought it would be a super idea to announce to everyone in Facebook and Instagram worlds that I would be teaching myself to sew.  Using a book.  On a machine that I've been scared of for 11 years.

Here is the book I've had for about 4 of those years....
The Sew Everything Workshop

This is one of the many books out there now that teach step by step, everything you need to know, from material type to working your machine, and then walks you through using patterns.

My first project is pretty simple, it doesn't even have a pattern!  I'm attempting to make making a reversible bag with a pocket.

I worked on it most of the day yesterday.  I got SO much done on it!  All I have left to do is to use the sewing machine!  LOL


No comments:

Post a Comment