Friday, September 27, 2013

About that fear...

Well, here it is Friday, and I have not touched my sewing machine yet.  It just sits there on the table, mocking my fear of it.  I think I'll find some time this weekend to work on that!

In the meantime, I have continued to be crafty with other projects that do not involve my fearful sewing machine!  I completed a custom order for an infant pumpkin hat.

I found a free pattern here.  This hat is unique in that it is crocheted in straight rows, and then joined.  It is the first one I have ever made that way.  Generally, hats are made in rounds, usually starting on the top.  I really like this pattern, as it is quick, and rather easy.  It only took me a few hours to complete, while also managing children and waiting in the carpool line to pick up my daughter from school.

Is this not adorable?! 
I had a sweet visit with a friend who also likes to craft.  While we chatted away, I completed a bunting/garland made from strips of vintage bed sheets.  This is a fun, no-sew way to create a simple addition to any little shabby chic decor.  A tutorial will be up for that soon!

I am becoming aware of a new trend in the crafting world.  They are exchanges, such as a garland exchange, which I am currently participating in, or a hoop exchange.  The one I am a part of is a fund raiser for a family adoption, so there was a $5 charge to participate, but there are others that are just for fun.  You sign up, and then are given a recipient for whom you create your item and send it off.  Its is exciting to bless someone else with a surprise and so fun to get happy mail in this world these days!  The idea is to keep your recipient a secret, so they are completely surprised when their happy mail arrives.

If you like the thought of an exchange, you should check out ShopAlt3.  Marquia is creating a sort of crafting pen pal exchange!  How fun would it be to get a new craft or gift from a friend every month?!  You can find more details on her website.  The exchange is called threaded together.


How have you been creative this week?  Leave a comment and let me know so I can have more ideas for things I do not have time to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment